Financial Evaluation

On 28 February 2022, the Board of Trustees of the Foundation approved the financial statements and profit and loss account for the year ending 31 December 2021, and the inventory of assets held on that date, in compliance with the requirements applicable to foundations in Catalonia. These documents show a surplus of 4,097 euros at the close of the financial year.

The Foundation had total income of 400,231 euros in 2021. It should be noted that the Foundation does not receive any public funding or trust income. In 2021, 98% of its income came from Grifols, S.A., with the remaining 2% generated by training activities. Since 2016, the Foundation has offered bioethics training courses to health centres, for which it charges a fee.


With respect to the budget plan for 2021, the Foundation ended the year with savings of 53,966 euros because it was not possible to perform some planned in-person activities due to the Covid-19 pandemic.


The Foundation's four activity areas included the following initiatives:

  • Research: bioethics grants and prizes
  • Discussion: lectures, workshops and seminars
  • Education and learning: courses for health and education professionals, and for high school students
  • Publications: to share the Foundation's work with a wider public, and partnership with publishing houses

As in previous years, the annual accounts for 2021  were not subject to external audit, as none of the circumstances described in the current legislation (Article 333-11.1 of the Civil Code of Catalonia), which would require auditing of the accounts, applied.