On 19 February 2019, the Board of Trustees of the Foundation approved the financial statements and profit and loss account for the year ending 31 December 2018, and the inventory of assets held on that date. These documents show a surplus of 0 euros at the close of the financial year.
The Foundation had total income of 432.710 euros in 2018. It should be noted that the Foundation does not receive any public funding or trust income. In 2018, 99 percent of its income came from Grifols, S.A., with the remaining 1 percent generated by training activities and donations. Since 2016 the Foundation has started to offer bioethics training courses to health centres, for which it charges a fee.
With respect to the budget plan for 2018, the Foundation ended the year with savings of 85,400 euros, the result of the cancellation of some planned activities and the optimization of resources.
The Foundation's four activity areas included the following initiatives:
- Research: bioethics grants and prizes
- Discussion: lectures, workshops and seminars
- Education and learning: courses for health and education professionals, and for high school students
- Publications to share the Foundation's work with a wider public, and partnership with publishing houses
As in previous years, the annual accounts for 2018 were not subject to external audit, as none of the circumstances described in the current legislation (Article 333-11.1 of the Civil Code of Catalonia), which would require auditing of the accounts, applied.